Thursday, November 5, 2015

Let's start a movement where we can tell people something good that happened in our life and not have them think we are crazy


I find that most conversations we have nowadays is very superficial and blase.  It is almost like we give answers that we know people are looking for because a) they don't have the time to actually listen to what we are going to say b) they don't care what we are actually going to say or c) a combination of the above.  It happens all the time (I even did it this morning) - people say hi, how are you, while walking away, not giving the other person a chance to even answer the question.  Why? Because we live in a fast paced world.  We have places to go, people to schmooze, things to do.  Who has time to actually give a person a chance to tell you what is happening in their life? Nobody.  At least that is what it seems.  And I would like to change that.  

I think I would be a) absolutely shocked and b) pleasantly surprised if one of my coworkers came to work today and just out of the blue told me something wonderful that happened to them last night.  But will it ever happen? Absolutely not.  I almost want to start doing it and seeing if it catches on, kind of like a pay it forward sort of notion.  Pay your happiness forward, your good thoughts or feelings or experiences, your good things that happened to you.  

This is stemming from last night and this morning.  Last night was volleyball and we killed it.  It was the best night we have had since it started - we were playing as a team, people covering each other, laughing at the stupid mistakes and having globally stupid plays.  I laughed a lot and got some really hard digs up and served 16 points in a row.  I was so happy.  It was a fantabulous night.  I got to share the story at home as my cousin, her husband and I always ask each other how our days went and whatnot, so they usually ask me how volleyball goes (followed up with a 'did you hurt yourself tonight? - they will make sure wonderful parents).  So telling them I was all happy and animated and felt loved that somebody actually wanted to hear how the night went.  But coming to work this morning, nobody asked how my evening went - once we get to work, that is what we are here to do - work.  And it sucks.  

It also stemmed from the team and I sitting around afterwards, having a drink.  I got to know a lot about them then - all my previous conceptions I had about them were out the window - I learned they were married, divorced, had kids, their occupations, etc etc.  They learned I had a masters in forensic psychology, that I worked in a jail, that I watch my cousin-in-law play Destiny; it was a wonderful conversation.  I learned that a teammate and I have similar humour and remarks/comments and that they are overall a good bunch of people.  But if we never had those drinks, would I ever have learned that from them? Probably not.  I imagine it would be hard to have a conversation while on the court ("so how is it going at home since you have......GOT IT.......oohh good hit........gotten laid......SHORT......off" - probably wouldn't work so well).  How often do we actually get to know the people who we surround ourselves with?   

So I would like to change that.  Every day I am going to tell a person in my office (I would do it on the bus but there are some pretty bad weirdo's on there that I don't think I necessarily need to be telling my life to) and I will even post a positive on Facebook.  I think people should know and actually listen when you have something you want to share with the world.  We need to increase the amount of communication and happiness in the world.  

Moral of this blog:  F*#k it and make sure your voice is heard when you want people to know something about yourself.  You should not shy away from letting people get to know you and if it is something you are proud of or happy about, share it with the world.  





No comments:

Post a Comment